In April 2013, I started walking laps around the church auditorium while studying or reading. I found this helped me to focus better, and also it was a good way to be a little less sedentary while at work.
Each lap around the auditorium is approximately 74 yards:
- In 2013 I walked a total of 5,608 laps, which amounts to a total distance of 235.8 miles. As I mentioned in my report at the start of 2014, that is basically the equivalent of traveling from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Kansas City, Missouri on foot.
- In 2014, I walked a total of 10,497 laps, or 441.4 miles, which got me from Kansas City, Missouri to the outskirts of Joliet, Illinois.
- In 2015, I walked 9,774 laps, of 411.0 miles, which got me all the way to Cleveland, Ohio.
- In 2016, my walking decreased somewhat, as I only amassed 7,288 laps for a total of 306.4 miles, which got me slightly past Hagerstown, Maryland.
- In 2017, I had my highest total to date, with 14,023 laps for a total of 589.6 miles, which got me to the small town of Hampton, New Hampshire.
I did not think I would be able to repeat my gaudy totals from 2017, but I was hoping to walk 500 miles again in 2018. Without further ado, here are my totals for the year:
Total Laps in 2018: 13,028
Distance per Lap: approximately 74 yards
Total Distance in 2018: 547.8 miles
Total Distance to date: 2532.0 miles
In 2018, I went from Hampton, New Hampshire to Bangor, Maine, then across Vermont to Burlington, and finally out to Lake Placid, New York.
I was correct in thinking that my 2017 total would be hard to repeat, but I was pleased that I was able to accumulate over 500 miles again. Hoping for another 500 in 2019!